Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Keeper of Light and Dust Reviewed

Sometimes a book will arrive on my doorstep that seems out of my normal realm of reading tastes, slightly to the left or right of what I’d normally read. That was the case with Keeper of Light and Dust by Natasha Mostert, which I received back in November, read in May and finally posted the review yesterday.

Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) and mysticism are the two main ingredients in Natasha Mostert’s Keeper of Light and Dust. The novel centers on two protagonists, Nick Duffy and Mia Lockhart who have known each other since they were children. Mia is a Keeper, almost like a guardian angel who has taken a number of fighters on the London circuit under her ‘protection” who also works as a tattoo artist. Nick is a MMA fighter on the London independent circuit, who as the story begins, is training for a fight that could earn him a championship.
.
.
.
While I enjoyed the meat, the middle of the novel, I felt the ending was something of a let down. Mostert built up the conflict between Mia and her antagonist very well – there was dramatic tension, and they never really came face to face until the novel’s conclusion.
I learned a valuable lesson this past weekend – wine can really creep up on you and punch you in the throat if you aren’t careful. Mrs. Blog o’ Stuff, wise woman that she is, tells me to stick to what I know – namely beer and whiskey. I think I’ll be following that advice for a long time to come.

No comments: