Sunday, December 07, 2014

Books in the Mail (W/E 2014-12-06)

As a reviewer for SFFWorld (as well as SF Signal and Tor.com) and maybe because of this blog, I receive a lot of books for review from various publishers. Since I can't possibly read everything that arrives, I figure the least I can do (like some of my fellow bloggers) is mention the books I receive for review on the blog to at least acknowledge the books even if I don't read them.

Sometimes I get one or two books, other weeks I'll get nearly a dozen books. Some weeks, I’ll receive a finished (i.e. the version people see on bookshelves) copy of a book for which I received an ARC (Advance Reader Copy) weeks or months prior to the actual publication of the book. I’ve been receiving a greater percentage of electronic ARCs this year which is good because death via drowning in a sea of unread books is not how I want to say goodbye to this world.

Sometimes I'll want to read everything that arrives, other weeks, the books immediately go into the "I'll never read this book" pile, while still others go into the nebulous "maybe-I'll-read-it-category." More often than not, it is a mix of books that appeal to me at different levels (i.e. from "this book holds ZERO appeal for me" to "I cannot WAIT to read this book yesterday"). Have a guess in the comments about which book fits my reading labels “I’ll Never Read…” “Zero Appeal” or “cannot wait” "maybe I'll get to it later" and so forth...

Since nothing new arrived this week, I figured now was a good time for this placeholder post. Also, a good opportunity to show off a Christmas photo of Sully. Last week, we visited a local dog training school (Live and Learn Dogs) run by one of my best friends from high school. The school was partnering with the Vet from whom Live and Learn rents space for an open house / holiday celebration and taking Christmas photos of all the dogs, with the winner (determined by most Facebook likes) receiving a prize. While Sully didn't win, her photo was the highest vote-getter among solo dogs (a photo with two chocolate labs received the most votes and frankly, *I* like Chocolate Labs, too, so I can't get too angry).



No comments: